Menu Close


A MAN has been sentenced to 29 years imprisonment for attempted murder after a woman was stabbed at her home in Oakham.

Emma Wolfenden, 37, suffered serious injuries in the incident following the attack by 48-year-old Robert Truscott at her home in Bullfinch Close on the evening of January 21 last year.

Picture: Leicestershire Police

Ms Wolfenden, who knew Truscott, was taken to hospital where she remained for three months undergoing treatment and surgery before being discharged in April. Truscott was charged with attempted murder shortly after the incident.

In June 2021, Ms Wolfenden sadly died at her home. Following a post mortem examination, it was found the cause of Ms Wolfenden’s death was not directly linked to the injuries caused by Truscott. He remained charged with attempted murder.

Following a trial at Leicester Crown Court in January this year, Truscott, of Lowther Close, Langham, Oakham, was found guilty of the offence. He was also found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm to a man who was also at the property at the time of the incident.

Truscott had previously pleaded guilty to possession of a bladed article.

Today, at the same court, he was sentenced to 29 years imprisonment for attempted murder.

He was sentenced to serve 33 months concurrently for causing grievous bodily harm and 18 months concurrently for possession of a bladed article.

Police had received a call at 9.10pm on Thursday 21 January last year from Ms Wolfenden reporting that two men had been fighting in her home.

As police were attending the scene, officers were contacted by East Midlands Ambulance Service who had received a call from Truscott stating he had stabbed Ms Wolfenden.

Police arrived at the address where Ms Wolfenden was found with multiple stab wound injuries to her chest and neck. First aid was provided at the scene by officers and Ms Wolfenden was taken to hospital by ambulance. Truscott was at the scene where he told officers the incident was his fault. He was arrested at the scene.

The other man had sustained an injury to his hand during the incident. The man reported being in a fight with Truscott and then witnessing Truscott attacking Ms Wolfenden with a knife.

Enquiries led to Truscott being charged two days later on January 23.

Following the trial last month, officer in the case, Detective Constable Gemma Allen said: “This was no doubt an extremely frightening incident for Ms Wolfenden and for the other male victim involved at the time. Ms Wolfenden remained in hospital for three months after the incident receiving treatment for serious injuries because of the terrifying actions of Robert Truscott.

“My thoughts remain with everyone affected by this incident including the family of Ms Wolfenden who have suffered hugely throughout the past year. I know this incident will remain with them for the rest of their lives.

“The investigation has been extremely complex and difficult and I would like to thank the team of officers and staff involved for their dedicated work and support which has led to this conviction of Truscott.”

RAF Advertisement